Friday, April 6, 2018

You Can't Judge A Book By Its Cover #205

You can't judge a book by its cover - which is very true.
But you can like one cover version better than another.

US cover
UK cover
I was so excited to see that Emma Healey has a new book coming out. I really enjoyed her first book, Elizabeth is missing.  Two very different looks this week for the forthcoming Whistle in the Dark. (And I love that title) The US cover is on the left and the UK cover is on the right. The blue of the US cover is appealing. There are faces hidden in the wash of colour. The blue has movement, the font used is simple and suits the tone of the cover. The UK cover is busier. It too has movement with the birds in flight. I'm not a fan of the colours used though. But the tagline would definitely have me picking up the book. "How do you rescue someone who has already been found?" If the books were side by side on a bookstore table I would pick up the US version first. So, US for me this week. What about you? Which cover do you prefer? Any plans to read Whistle in the dark?
You Can't Judge A Book By Its Cover is a regular feature at A Bookworm's World.

5 comments:

bermudaonion said...

I would probably pick the US cover up first, too, but I don't dislike the UK cover.

Icewineanne said...

UK wins love the birds. Tried to figure out what the dark blot was - person? Nope - island?? - maybe just a rip in the cover - hah hah.
Dislike US cover use of blue faces. I’ve had Elizabeth’s 1st book in the book pile right next to my reading chair since it came out.....time to finally read it! :D

Icewineanne said...

Meant Emma’s book - Got confused between author & title!

Kay said...

I'm liking the US cover better as well. I've got Elizabeth Is Missing and have never taken the time to read it.

Luanne said...

Three for the US and one for the UK so far...

Have you read her before Bermudaonion?

Icewineanne - the blob is hard to figure out - I had thought it was a hole actually. And you need to read Elizabeth is Missing!

Kay - you too! It's a mystery, but it's heartbreaking as well.