Friday, June 30, 2017

Film on Friday #52

HBO Home Entertainment released Season one of Divorce, starring Sarah Jessica Parker and Thomas Haden Church last month.

What's it about? "Divorce centers on Frances, who after more than a decade of marriage and two children, has suddenly begun to reassess her life and her strained relationship with her husband Robert."

I love HBO series, I've enjoyed Parker in many previous roles and Haden Church is a perennial favourite of mine. So, I should have loved Divorce, right? But I just didn't.

Parker earned a Golden Globe nomination, Best Actress in a Comedy for Divorce. But Parker didn't earn my laughs or sympathy, this time round. Instead I found her to be unlikable, selfish, self serving and surprised when things don't go her way. Haden Church steals the show in my opinion. His bumbling confusion, bewilderment at what is happening and his dogged initial efforts to make things right do put me firmly on his side. His delivery and actions do fill the 'comedy' tag of the show. Molly Shannon adds her manic sense of humor for some over the top scenes that did have me laughing.

Marriage and relationships are exposed and explored through each character's observations and many of them ring true. But in the end, I found the whole thing rather sad and could only watch an episode at a time, rather than my usual series bingeing. I finished it but won't be watching Season Two.

Check out the trailer below for a sample of Divorce....

  

1 comment:

Icewineanne said...

Put this on my list. Many thanks :)