Wednesday, May 10, 2017

Over the Counter #365

What book caught my eye this week as it passed over the library counter and under my scanner? What wood you make......

The Man Who Made Things Out Of Trees by Robert Penn.

From the publisher, Particular Books:

"Robert Penn cut down an ash tree to see how many things could be made from it. After all, ash is the tree we have made the greatest and most varied use of over the course of human history. Journeying from Wales across Europe and Ireland to the USA, Robert finds that the ancient skills and knowledge of the properties of ash, developed over millennia making wheels and arrows, furniture and baseball bats, are far from dead. The book chronicles how the urge to understand and appreciate trees still runs through us all like grain through wood."

(Over the Counter is a regular feature at A Bookworm's World. I've sadly come the realization that I cannot physically read every book that catches my interest as it crosses over my counter at the library. But... I can mention them and maybe one of them will catch your eye as well. See if your local library has them on their shelves!)

1 comment:

Icewineanne said...

This man does beautiful & awesome things with wood. On the MOMA site they have a link to a video of his showing some of his stunning works. Intrigued to see the book as well. Will put a hold on it today. Thanks Luanne!