Monday, January 4, 2016

Humans of New York: Stories - Brandon Stanton

Brandon Stanton's Humans of New York is a daily fix for me. I usually follow HONY on Facebook. There are now over "fifteen million people who follow the blog everyday." In case, you've not heard of HONY....it started as a project to "photograph thousands of people on the streets of New York." Moving along, quotes were added to the pictures. And those quotes morphed into stories......

Humans of New York: Stories released at the end of last year, but I was holding off reading it 'til 'the right time' - a time where I could sit and ponder, enjoy each photo and the bits of life strangers chose to share.

New Years Day seemed like the right time - a perfect first book for 2016.

And it was. Stanton is a talented photographer, capturing people of all ages, genders, races and gamut of circumstances , conditions, relationships, life, work and more. I enjoyed the photographs on their own in the first book, but Stories is simply amazing. Each and every page, I started by looking, really looking, at the person and only then reading their story. Then back to the photograph. Stories will take you on an emotional ride - they're sad, joyful, uplifting, thought provoking, inspiring, moving and oh so addicting. If you're an online follower, you also know how connecting and powerful the blog is. The comments, the changes and the challenges inspired by this project are astounding. It took me most of the day to make my way through the 400 plus pages. As I turned the last page, I wondered what story I would tell......

Humans of New York: Stories is a book I'll read again. Absolutely a powerful way to start a New Year. See for yourself - read an excerpt of Humans of New York: Stories.

2 comments:

bermudaonion said...

I've heard about this project and thought it sounded fascinating so I'm glad to see it is.

Ethan said...

This is such an interesting project. Happy New Year to you and your family!