Wednesday, March 25, 2015

Food and Drink with DK Canada!

So, here's the thing. I can cook. And sometimes I really enjoy it. And other times? Well, now and then, there are other things I'd rather be doing. But you have to eat right? And I still want to eat well - I'm not a fast food fan.

So, The No Time to Cook! Book: 100 Modern Simple Recipes in 20 Minutes or Less by Elena Rosemond-Hoerr definitely caught my eye. It's one of the suggested books in DK Canada's Food and Drink Boutique.20 minutes or less?! Oh yeah!

I loved the title of the first chapter - The Quick Kitchen - which had a great list of grocery items to have on hand in the pantry for those quick meals. I was happily surprised to find that I did have most of them already. Speedy you say? Quick ways to chop/slice and other tips included too.

The actual recipes are broken down into Breakfast, Lunch, Dinners, Food with Friends and Short and Sweet (Desserts). Breakfast isn't usually a problem for me but the wheel of smoothies looks like a fun way to vary a morning shake. And I am going to try the overnight oats in a jar and making my own granola.

I am getting tired of the same old, same old for lunch. Rosemond-Hoerr has some new ideas for stuffing pita pockets and another jar idea I've been meaning to try - Salads in a jar.(And a wheel of salad dressing to make your own as well)

But it is dinner where I just think -oh, what am I going to make tonight? Rosemond-Hoerr has come up with some fresh ideas for those quick standbys - pastas, stir fries and one pot meals. There are some more great 'speedy' charts here as well - salsa and stir fry.

The Food for Friends chapter has such great finger food ideas that I think I will actually use for our dinner a few nights. Bruschetta bar anyone? How about pot sticker dumplings? Yum!

The desserts look just as appealing, but many rely on butter, cream and chocolate. Those looking to count calories will have to do the figuring themselves - nutritional information is not included. 

There are colour photographs of the finished dish for each recipe. The instructions for each recipe are easily read and numbered for simplicity. The ingredients list is drawn out for each as well.

Curious? Here's an excerpt of The No Time to Cook! Book - a simple easy cookbook that I will be using for those rushed days. 

No comments: