Wednesday, December 14, 2011

Need You Now - James Grippando

James Grippando is back with his latest book Need You Now, releasing January 3, 2012.

Need You Now seems to take inspiration from recent headlines - the Bernie Madoff ponzi scheme in particular.

Patrick Lloyd is a young advisor at a Wall Street firm. He has returned to the US from the Singapore office after breaking up with his girlfriend Lilly, who also worked for the firm. An unnamed group thinks that Lloyd might now where their missing two billion dollars are as Lilly was the one who processed the transactions. With their lives being threatened, they race to try and find answers. But it's not as straight forward as that. Both Patrick and Lilly have secrets - nothing is quite as it seems.

The plot becomes quite convoluted as Grippando adds twists and turns galore. I don't want to print spoilers, so I won't go into detail. But, perhaps there are a few too many twists - it seemed too busy and a bit over the top. I found myself losing track at times of who, what ,where. I never really connected with the two main protagonists or became emotionally invested in their predicament. They simply moved the story along.

Need You Now  is an entertaining financial thriller, but not a stand out for this reader. Read an excerpt of Need You Now. You can find Grippando on Facebook.

3 comments:

bermudaonion said...

I've read one Grippando book and thought it was okay - it was overrun with twists and turns too.

Pam (@iwriteinbooks) said...

I like this sort of thing when it's a simple, easy to read but when it starts to get too big for its britches it loses me.

Luanne said...

Kathy - I found the same thing with his last one and had hopes that it would have changed - not so...

Pam - I like it - a book too big for it's britches - great description!