Tuesday, November 29, 2011

The Unbecoming of Mara Dyer - Michelle Hodkin

Resident teen blogger Ella is back with a book that she calls 'outrageously exciting.'

"I am ignoring my Spanish homework to let the world know they need to drop everything and go find a copy of The Unbecoming of Mara Dyer by Michelle Hodkin. Now. Oh. My. Gawd, it is good. Beyond the quality of the world-building and witty repartee, the actual storyline is mind-blowing. I don't even know how to begin explaining how hard waiting for the sequel will be. The insane-twist/inevitable-ending high has yet to wear off. I have no idea what's going on, and I really, really want to know.

If my giddy glee doesn't convince you, check out the cover. How cool is it? Also, it has an awesome title. The Unbecoming of Mara Dyer. So foxy. So fitting.

The story is about Mara Dyer falling apart after she survives being trapped under a collapsed building (that turns out to have been an ABANDONED INSANE ASYLUM!!!! I know, right? Don't worry, that's the only cheese in the book) The accident killed three of her friends, but she remembers nothing. The book starts as she wakes up from a three day coma, and struggles to remember the events surrounding the accident. Not long after, she starts having insane and spooky hallucinations of the dead kids, and other eerie things. Creepy, but so, so good. I spent half of the book laughing out loud, and the other half looking over my shoulder, or falling off my couch when my cat meowed or did something equally terrifying. I don't know what I would have done with myself if Mara's story ended here. Never left my room again, because I'm too freaked about the outside world, probably.

Now stop reading Luanne's blog, and go get a copy, before everyone else gets theirs!" Get a head start - read an excerpt of The Unbecoming of Mara Dyer.

Oh boy, that's a resounding recommendation Ella! As always, thanks for sharing your thoughts on some great YA reads with us. Now....get back to your homework......

2 comments:

Ashley said...

I could not agree with Ella more. it's that good.

bermudaonion said...

I love this review! Ella's enthusiasm for the book really makes me excited about it!