Thursday, July 7, 2011

Over the Counter # 62

The latest book to catch my eye as it passed over my library counter and under my scanner this week was The Happy Baker by Erin Bolger. And why wouldn't it - cupcakes on the cover. So, I must admit -  I did more than glance through this one (and may end up buying it!) There's some seriously yummy recipes and a lot of fun inside this book. (Canadian readers, you may recognize this title - Bolger made a successful deal on Dragon's Den!)

"20+ 30+ years of dating fiascos
60+ down-home, comforting recipes
1 pink baking hammer, with apron and lip gloss to match
Many (many) bottles of wine
Too many tears
A whole lotta laughter
Yields: 1 very happy baker

We've all been there.
The blind date from hell. The Big Hurt.
The guy who details his various surgeries over Caesar salad on the first date.
Who needs a pint of rocky road when you can head to the kitchen and work out your heartache with a whisk and a bottle of wine? Erin Bolger has been there, dated that and baked through it all. Turns out the more bitter the heartbreak, the sweeter the batter. So don't cry over bad dates, bad boyfriends or bad breakups—whip up a batch of My-Mom-Didn't-Like-You-Anyway Cupcakes and bake yourself happy."

(Over the Counter is a regular feature at A Bookworm's World. I've sadly come the realization that I cannot physically read every book that catches my interest as it crosses over my counter at the library. But... I can mention them and maybe one of them will catch your eye as well. See if your local library has them on their shelves!)

2 comments:

bermudaonion said...

That cover is to die for. This book sounds yummy!

Pam (@iwriteinbooks) said...

Haha LOVE this! I'll have to pass it on to my sister-in-law who is a pastry chef. She'll love it!