Monday, March 29, 2010

Shattered - Karen Robards


Karen Robards is a New York Times best selling author with over thirty books to her credit. I had never read Robards before Shattered.

Little Marisa Garcia is afraid of the woods near her new home. She knows there are shadow people hiding there - and they're watching her.....and she's right.

Fast forward thirty years. Lisa Grant has been assigned to work cold cases for Scott Buchanan, the District Attorney. While going through the file of a family gone missing - the Garcias - Lisa is stunned by a photo in the file. The mother of the family is a dead ringer for herself. As Lisa follows up with the case, it seems that someone is just as determined that she won't. Complicating things further are her feelings for Scott - their pasts are intertwined -will their future be as well?

Now having never read Robards before I had no idea of her writing style. For those who love romantic suspense, I would say - put her to the top of your list. She skillfully combines romantic tension with an interesting plot. I was happily ensconced on my couch for the day with a wicked head cold and was quite happy reading steamy scenes and smoldering glances. The mystery is really not the main thrust of the plot, more the vehicle to carry the relationship between Lisa and Scott.

I do prefer my mysteries a bit more convoluted, if you will. I did have the plot figured out before the end. The 'bad guys' are easily identified, as are the red herrings. But it was a thoroughly entertaining read for the day.

Read an excerpt of Shattered.

Fans of Sandra Brown, Linda Howard or Julie Garwood would enjoy Karen Robards.

5 comments:

bermudaonion said...

I recently read a romantic suspense novel and it was okay, just not my favorite, so I won't be in a rush to try this author.

Anonymous said...

I read two or three of Karen Robards' books some years ago. She's an author that I keep meaning to read again, but you know how that is. I appreciate your review and think this one would be perfect sometime soon.

Mary (Bookfan) said...

This was my Waiting on Wednesday pick a few weeks ago. I need to read it, I think!

clenna said...

I love reading Karen Robard's books. Easy read but with suspence.

Tribute Books said...

I never tried her,but interested in doing so,will add to my list. Thanks1