Monday, December 14, 2009

Godmother: The Secret Cinderella Story - Carolyn Turgeon


Resident guest blogger Julia is back with her reiveiw of Godmother: The Secret Cinderella Story by Carolyn Turgeon.

Everyone loves a fairy tale. But do you know what really happened the night Cinderella went to the ball? Meet Lil, an old woman who works in a book store and has a dark and deep secret past. As the book unfolds we learn the truth of what happened when Lil, in her former life, met Prince Charming. Like all of us who are human, Lil made a mistake that night that altered the course of her life.

This book can be read on several levels. It can be read as the “true” Cinderella story, or the story of a woman with regrets who tries to right her wrongs. Or, you will find that the book can be read on a whole other level – maybe this is a story of how we all make mistakes and have regrets. Maybe it is the story of one woman finding a way to avoid dealing with a terrible truth in her life by, as Lil says, wishing she could change history and opting out of her own life.

One thing is certain, the description of the ice blue ball gown, “a confection of ice blues and crystals, layers of silk and tulle… strung through with crystals” will make you long for an invitation to a ball!

As always Julia, thanks for the review!

9 comments:

bermudaonion said...

My sister loves fairy tale re-tellings, so I think she'd like this one.

Jo-Jo said...

This book caught my eye a couple of months ago and I'm now I'm wanting to read it more. Thanks for the review!

Aarti said...

I LOVE Cinderella. Not sure if I would want my rose-tinted glasses taken off through this book, but it sounds good :-)

Anonymous said...

OKay, I'm adding this one to my wish list. Love retold fairy tales.

Becky said...

This sounds great - I love these kind of books. Cinderella is a great fairytale, and it would be really interesting to see a modern fictional take on it. I really enjoyed that movie 'Ever After' for the same reason.
I reviewed 'Wicked' by Gregory Maguire on my blog awhile ago. If you like fairytales redone, i recommend this to everyone. I know the Wizard of Oz isn't a fairytale, but it is redone in such an original way, I think you'll enjoy it if you enjoyed 'Godmother - The Secret Cinderella Story'.
Thanks for the review, I can't wait to read it.

(Diane) Bibliophile By the Sea said...

I saw this one at the library and I resisted. I do think I'd enjoy it though...someday perhaps?

Donna said...

Sounds interesting. I'll check for it at the library this week.

Anonymous said...

I've been enjoying fairy tale re-tellings lately. Thanks for the review.

Julia said...

Thanks for the comments - I will be interested to hear what people think. This book can be read so many ways, it is bound to appeal to all of us in different way! Also, I saw the musical Wicked and love the "other" side of the story!