Friday, September 8, 2017

You Can't Judge A Book By Its Cover #175

- You can't judge a book by its cover - which is very true.
 But you can like one cover version better than another....

US cover
UK cover
Friend Request is Laura Marshall's debut novel - an entry into the psychological suspense genre. And yes, that is currently my favourite genre to read, so it is on my TBR list. (From the publisher: A pulse-pounding psychological thriller for fans of He Said/She Said, The Couple Next Door and I See You.) So, the US cover is on the left and the UK cover is on the right. The first difference I see is dark vs. light. When I hear the words 'friend request', I immediately think of social media, so the cover image on the US version reflects that. I'm just very glad they didn't use a full facial image of the woman. The UK has a tagline that explains a bit more about Maria's request - that she is dead - or maybe not. So, I'm gathering she drowned given the floaty hair in the water shot. I'm not really a fan of either cover this week, but if I had to make a choice, I would go with the US cover. Which cover do you prefer? Any plans to read Friend Request?
You Can't Judge A Book By Its Cover is a regular feature at A Bookworm's World.

2 comments:

Bookworm said...

Like you, I don't particularly like either cover ... but I prefer the one to the right, as I dislike photos of real people on book covers.

bermudaonion said...

I'm with you on this one - I don't love either cover but if I was forced to pick one, I'd go with the US cover.