Friday, November 28, 2014

Film on Friday #26 - If I Stay


I always have some doubts when a wonderful book is made into a movie. Will it stay true to the book? Will the actors embody the characters? Will I still love the book after watching the movie? 20th Century Fox Home Entertainment has just released the Blu-ray/DVD of If I Stay. And let me put your mind to rest right away - it was very well done.

If I Stay is based on the best selling YA novel by Gayle Forman. After a horrific accident Mia is stuck between here and there, life and death, staying or going.....and has to make a choice.....

We get to remember and re-live Mia's life up to this point. She's a gifted cello player with a promising future, a boyfriend she loves dearly and a wonderful family.

Chloe Grace Moretz plays Mia, and she was a great choice. She absolutely personified the mental image I had created for this character. She's engaging and believable. Keep your eye on Moretz - we're going to be seeing much more of this talented young actor.

Jamie Blackley plays boyfriend Adam. I did think some of his scenes were overplayed.  The supporting cast is stellar, especially Mia's family. (Stacy Keach as Gramps was great)

Music plays such a huge part in the book and with the movie it comes to life.  The soundtrack is really good and the playing is believable, both for Moretz, Blackley et al. (Adam is a rock musician who plays the guitar). Moretz's cello playing and love of music was really, really well done. As was Blackley's, but Adam's head banging with every last chord was also a bit overdone.

If you love YA, teen romances or hey, just a good movie, you'll enjoy If I Stay. (Especially if you loved The Fault in Our Stars.)

And if you want to own and watch If I Stay, make sure you enter my giveaway for a Blu-ray copy!  Simply leave a comment (and a contact method) to be entered! One randomly chosen reader will win a copy of If I Stay on Blu-ray and a paperback copy of the book. Open to US and Canada, one entry per person, ends December 6/14.

No comments: