Thursday, December 13, 2012

Over the Counter #140

What book caught my eye this week as it passed over the library counter and under my scanner? Well, I admit I was craving something sweet at the time, so the Field Guide to Candy by Anita Chu caught my eye. So did the subtitle - How to Identify and Make Virtually Every Candy Imaginable. Make?! Hmm, further investigation needed.....

From the publisher Quirk Books:

"What puts the crunch in buttercrunch toffee? How do you cook the perfect raspberry chocolate truffle? What’s the secret to making lollipops and lemon drops? Discover these answers and more in Field Guide to Candy, a handy pocket reference to more than 100 recipes, complete with serving suggestions and fascinating historical trivia (in the 1940s, gumdrop cakes were among the most popular desserts in America).

Field Guide to Candy includes traditional favorites and exotic treats from all over the world, everything from peanut butter cups and salt-water taffy to Pastelia (Greek honey candy) and Turkish Delight. Each candy is photographed in glorious full color, with step-by-step instructions on how to prepare, make, serve, and store your creations. Yummy homemade confections are just minutes away with Field Guide to Candy in your pantry!"

(Over the Counter is a regular feature at A Bookworm's World. I've sadly come to the realization that I cannot physically read every book that catches my interest as it crosses over my counter at the library. But...I can mention them and maybe one of them will catchy your eye as well. See if your local library has them on their shelves!)

No comments: