Thursday, May 24, 2012

In the Bag - Kate Klise

I know where you might find copies of Kate Klise's adult debut novel In the Bag this summer ..... in quite a few beach bags! It's absolutely perfect for summer reading  - sweet, charming, light and fun.

Chef and single mom Daisy is on her way to Paris to take a much needed vacation with her teenage daughter Coco. Single dad Andrew is on that same flight with his teenage son Webb on their way to Spain. When Andrew accidently spills a glass of wine on Daisy, he feels terrible....but also smitten. Daisy is well - the kind of woman he could fall for. So he decides to tuck a note into her carry on luggage with his email contact information. You never know, right?

It is only when each pair arrives at their hotels that the teenagers discover that they have picked up someone else's luggage. Three guesses here. Yes - Coco and Webb have each other's bags. When they discover contact info in the bags, they begin conversing by email. And the conincidences don't stop there.....

Klise has conjured up a simply delightful plot, full of miscommunications, misperceptions, missed cues and misunderstandings. She has chosen to tell the story from the viewpoint of each of the characters, which really worked. The characters were believable and rang true. I nodded my head and chuckled at much of the parent's thoughts and dialogue.  It brought back memories of my own two (now grown) teenagers. Klise also did a great job with Coco and Webb. Much of their communication is done through email and Kate wrote witty missives that seemed to capture the tentative beginnings of teenage relationships. Interestingly it is only when they meet in person that Coco and Webb have trouble communicating, mirroring today's dependence on electronic connections.

And no summer beach read is complete without a happy ending. Yes, you can see it coming but Klise makes the journey there so much fun. Chick lit fans will love it. And it would make a cute rom/com movie too!  Read an excerpt of In the Bag.


And it was only when I finished the book that I discovered the idea behind the book. Klise found a hand written note in her own carry on bag. I wonder if she ever followed up?

"Kate Klise spent fifteen years working as a correspondent for People magazine. When she wasn't reporting for the magazine, Kate was home on her Missouri farm, writing such bestselling children's books as Regarding the Fountain, Dying to Meet You, and Grounded."

See what others on the TLC tour thought -  the schedule can be found here.

7 comments:

ChristasBooks said...

This is the same cover for the Single Girl's To Do list - another great beach read!
Sounds like a fun book, now I just need to get myself to the beach

bermudaonion said...

I do love a good chick lit book from time to time. I can't wait to read this!!

Auntie sezzzzzz... said...

Been into heavy reading. I think I really NEED a chic-lit book!!!!

Thanks!

Luanne said...

Christa - good eye! It is exactly the same - minus a few stickers on the suitcase!

Kathy and Auntie - it's very light - an afternoon's read in the hammock!

Heather J. @ TLC Book Tours said...

"simply delightful" sounds like the perfect description of this book!

Thanks for being on the tour. I'm glad you enjoyed reading this one!

trish said...

I've heard such good things about this book! It's definitely on my list of books to read, and I think it might make me want to stalk the author for her next book. Haha.

The Phantom Paragrapher said...

Just finished this book and I loved it , a nice quick easy to read Chick Lit.
New Follower
www.thephantomparagrapher.blogspot.com