Thursday, April 19, 2012

Over the Counter #106

What caught my eye this week as it passed over my library counter and under the scanner? The Great American Cereal Book by Marty Gitlin and Topher Ellis. This one was so much fun! And brought back lots of memories of cereals your mom didn't want to buy!

From the publisher, Abrams Image:

"Americans love their breakfast cereal, which is second only to milk and soda in supermarket spending. Cereals and their cartoon spokescharacters are some of the most enduring pop-culture icons of the 20th century. The Great American Cereal Book is the definitive compendium of breakfast cereal history and lore, celebrating the most recognizable brands and packaging, such as Cheerios, Cocoa Puffs, Frosted Flakes, Grape-Nuts, and Trix. Award-winning writer Marty Gitlin and co-author Topher Ellis provide behind-the-scenes stories about the creation of these iconic kitchen-table companions, with 350 images of cereal boxes, vintage ads, and rare memorabilia."

(Over the Counter is a regular feature at A Bookworm's World. I've sadly come the realization that I cannot physically read every book that catches my interest as it crosses over my counter at the library. But... I can mention them and maybe one of them will catch your eye as well. See if your local library has them on their shelves!)

3 comments:

bermudaonion said...

We don't eat cereal so this book doesn't really appeal to me.

Unknown said...

Thanks for bringing The Great American Cereal Book to my attention. I'd not heard of it prior, and now I'm curious. Just requested it from the library :-)

Luanne said...

Ha Kathy - I ate a lot growing up!

Beth - I'm glad to hear your library has it too!