Friday, November 5, 2010

5 Ingredient Fix - Claire Robinson

The first thing that caught my eye when I picked up 5 Ingredient Fix was the photography. Absolutely beautiful full colour pictures that had me drooling before I even read the recipes. I actually leafed through looking at the all the photographs first! Mouth watering you could say...

Claire Robinson is a host on Food Network and the star of 5 Ingredient Fix and Food Network Challenge.

Claire's style? She describes it as:
..."the result of learning from a classic entertainer and a do-it-from-scratch, all-natural bohemian. I take the best part of these women, throw in my French culinary education, pay attention to seasonal ingredients, keep it fresh, and add my wholesome an delicious southern taste. This is my world of food: one inspired by an effortless elegance , and my five-ingredient approach keeps it simple( and possible!) for everyone."
And photographs aside, this is what really grabbed me. I'm not fond of cooking, but I have come to appreciate good food. For me - the simpler, the better works, and five ingredients sounds perfect!
Why five? "...to choose the best main ingredient - my star-  and figuring out how to enhance and maintain its natural flavour by adding a small supporting cast of ingredients to dance with it and make it shine. After years..I've found that my magic number of ingredients is five or fewer."
The cookbook is divided into sections covering the gamut - breakfast, appetizers, soups, salads, mains, desserts and more.

I loved each and every breakfast suggestion. I made the Pumpkin Seed and Dried Cherry Trail Mix and sprinkled (okay more than sprinkled - it was really good) over my yogurt for a really satisfying and nutritious start to the morning. French toast with strawberries and cream anyone?

Any gardeners out there that still might have a zucchini or two hanging around, try the Zucchini-tinis in the appetizer/cocktail section! Definitely inventive!

Oh there were so many that appealed to me -  Lemon-Tarragon Chicken Soup, Beef Stew - Stuffed Potatoes (using the potatoes as a bowl), Roasted Spaghetti Squash with Basil Butter. The recipe for Dry-Rubbed BBQ Chicken produced incredibly tender, juicy breasts.
And the desserts and comfort food sections! Oh boy! I want to try the Ginger Pumpkin Tart and the Flourless Chocolate-Lover's Cake!(gluten free!)

Each recipe also has a neat 'What makes this recipe really sing' suggestion and a 'What to toss in if you have it' section. The instuctions are clear, consise and easy to follow. The layout of the book is clean and easy to read.

And yes, none of the recipes calls for more than 5 ingredients! Yet, they look and taste like you spent a lot more time and money on them than you really did.  Simple, local if possible and enhancing the natural flavour of food is a philosophy that works. 5 Ingredient Fix is a book I will use and enjoy!

Get a peek inside 5 Ingredient Fix.

No comments: