Thursday, July 29, 2010

Over the Counter #17

Perfect Porches by Paula S. Wallace was the latest book to catch my eye as it passed over my library counter and under my scanner this week.

There's no better place to watch the world go by than on a porch. I have fond memories of my grandmother's stone porch in her small town. It was always so cool. The hosue was set close to the sidewalk and after dinner we'd sit out and say hello to everyone out for their evening walk.

.... and DH if you're reading this - I'd really love it if you could finish ours.....        

What's your favourite porch story?

From the publisher Clarkson Potter:

"A well-designed porch is like a welcoming committee that invites friends and family to share stories, catch up on neighborhood news, or quietly enjoy the breezes of a sultry summer evening. Porches bridge our public and private worlds, and convey the essence of one’s home.

In more than 250 stunning photographs of forty homes, Perfect Porches illustrates how varied these iconic American spaces can be. A wealth of structural appointments are presented, such as the extended eaves of a rain porch along the Gulf Coast, the shimmering copper flooring of a converted Amish cattle barn in Bluegrass country, and Outback-inspired painted thresholds in California’s wine region. Unexpected ornaments, including Moroccan pendant lamps, a vintage watering can collection, or a majolica menagerie can transform even the most modest porch into an oasis. This book also reveals a host of practical ways to bring privacy to urban porches, chic accents to old-fashioned verandas, and coziness to modern environments. Home owners share colorful stories about using their porches as communal stages for magical and sometimes mythological events, telling of ghosts encountered, arias sung, and families reunited.

Whether you seek to reawaken a cherished memory of a childhood porch, create an adorned haven of your own, or take an enlightening journey across the nation, this volume is certain to become a treasured companion as well as a source of fresh inspiration."

(Over the Counter is a regular feature at A Bookworm's World. I've sadly come the realization that I cannot physically read every book that catches my interest as it crosses over my counter at the library. But... I can mention them and maybe one of them will catch your eye as well. See if your local library has them on their shelves!)

4 comments:

bermudaonion said...

I need this book to breathe some new life into our front porch!

ruthibel said...

I have no house of my own (yet), and consequently, no porch to dress up, but this book still sounds worth the read.

Because, you know, a girl's gotta prepare for these things ....

Donna said...

I could use this book! My 'porch' is just a storehouse for all kinds of stuff I don't know what to do with. Books like this are just what I need to look at this summer!

Ladytink_534 said...

I always wanted a great big wrap around porch but the house we were going to buy with one was too close to a river and we live on the Mississippi gulf coast.