Thursday, April 15, 2010

Over the Counter # 4


Catching my eye this week as it passed over my library counter was Sexually, I'm More of a Switzerland, edited by David Rose.

Really with a title like that, how could I not pick it up and browse?

From the publisher Simon & Shuster:

"Straight from British shores, here is another dose of love, or the lack of it, from the pages of the London Review of Books. The editor of They Call Me Naughty Lola has cooked up yet another irresistible collection of brilliant, bawdy and often absurd personal ads from the world's funniest, and smartest, lonely-hearts column. These ads prove that even if you're lonely, you don't have to be boring, as advertisers in this book demand much more than long walks on the beach and candlelit dinners from their potential mates.

Arranged by theme ('The Usual Hyperbole and a Whiff of Playful Narcissism'), and including footnotes to obscure references, Sexually, I'm More of a Switzerland promises to be 'a naughty treat' (Entertainment Weekly)."

(Over the Counter is a new feature at A Bookworm's World. I've sadly come the realization that I cannot physically read every book that catches my interest as it crosses over my counter at the library. But... I can mention them and maybe one of them will catch your eye as well!)

7 comments:

Kaye said...

I love your new feature! You must see a lot of interesting books but you're right, you just can't read them all. This one sounds kind of interesting. The only word I associate with Switzerland, other than chocolate and cukoo clocks, is neutral. Hmmm...

Luanne said...

Thanks Kaye! I'm glad to hear you're enjoying it - I was wondering what people thought!

cindysloveofbooks said...

Luanne what a great feature.

This one does sound interesting and I will have to check this one out.

bermudaonion said...

This does sound interesting!

Tribute Books said...

Sounds good, thanks!

Emidy @ Une Parole said...

Haha, what a great title! This sounds very entertaining, indeed.

Dawn @ sheIsTooFondOfBooks said...

I'm just (trying to) catch up on my Reader, and am really enjoying your picks for the new "Over the Counter" feature!